Critical Appraisal Masterclass (1 day course)
The Critical Appraisal Masterclass covers everything you need to appraise clinical papers in one intensive day. The course workbook includes many short exercises to improve your understanding of critical appraisal. The course is popular amongst people revising for critical appraisal exams, presenting in journal club meetings, starting research projects and preparing for job interviews.
Everything you need to know about critical appraisal is covered in one day.
Approved for 6 hours continuing professional development by the CPD Standards Office.
We cover more material in one day than any other course. You’ll leave this course with your brain full of knowledge!
You’ll complete short exercises in your handout and answer questions using digital wireless handsets,
Includes online access
You get free access to the online course from when you book until 3 months after the masterclass.
The masterclass is aimed at healthcare professionals, including doctors, dentists, nurses, researchers and students.
A beginner’s course that is suitable for individuals wanting to learn about the importance of critical appraisal skills and would like to understand the concepts involved. This may be if you are preparing for oral critical appraisal examinations or developing skill sets for presenting effectively at journal clubs or for those individuals who may be interested in conducting research.
About the Masterclass
This course that will introduce the key concepts of evidence based practice. You will learn how to identify strengths and limitations of studies and how to interpret study results. You will also practice your skills with a selection of study types ranging from RCTs, observational studies and systematic reviews.
- Understand the meaning of evidence-based medicine and the importance of critical appraisal skills.
- Be able to identify different study designs and clinical questions they can address.
- Be able to evaluate the methods to identify strengths and limitations of a study.
- Understand how to choose a statistical test to analyse data and be able to interpret the results of a study.
- Be able to decide whether to change clinical practice based on the results of a study.
- 09:00 - Introduction to evidence-based practice
- 09:10 - The clinical question; primary and secondary hypothesis; subgroup analysis
- 09:30 - Types of study design
- 10:15 – Bias and confounding factors
- 10:45 - Refreshment break
- 11:00 - Null hypothesis, p values, confidence intervals
- 11:45 – Power & sample size
- 13:00 - Lunch
- 13:30 - Describing & summarising data, risks and odds
- 14:00 – Statistical principles for data interpretation
- 14:30 – Clinical paper practical session -appraising a randomised controlled trial
- 15:15 - Clinical paper practical session - appraising a case-control study
- 16:00 - Feedback and close
Once you have booked a place on the Masterclass, you will have access to the online Critical Appraisal course for 3 months.
Accessing the Masterclass
You will be sent a zoom link and clinical papers for the Masterclass, 24 hours before the course begins.
Internet connection, camera and microphone.
Book a masterclass
* For official orders from companies, organisations and academic institutions, an invoice can be generated for masterclass reservations.Request an invoice
This is an excellent course and I came out enlightened about something that I was too scared to study on my own.
Not only the content but the teaching techniques were excellent. Your course was really lucid and easy to understand. The exercises were very well constructed.
The course was very helpful. Thanks for helping me overcome my fear of critical appraisal. Excellent.
Fabulous venue! Extremely comfortable. Superb food, coffee, hospitality. I felt spoiled! Speaker very clear and animated. He has amazing presence and stamina! Thank you.
It is an excellent course. Thank you for making critical appraisal easy. I no longer have critical appraisal phobia and will not avoid journal clubs in the future.
Fantastic course. Interactive session helps understand better. Lot of my doubts cleared. I would definitely recommend to others.
Best course I have attended. Very lucid.
Absolute eureka feeling!! Excellent teacher and teaching skills. Have never been for any other course but likely will not need to this is more than enough!