Critical Appraisal Masterclass
The Critical Appraisal Masterclass covers everything you need to appraise clinical papers in one intensive day. The course workbook includes many short exercises to improve your understanding of critical appraisal. The course is popular amongst people revising for critical appraisal exams, presenting in journal club meetings, starting research projects and preparing for job interviews.
Everything you need to know about critical appraisal is covered in one day.
Approved for 6 hours continuing professional development by the CPD Standards Office.
We cover more material in one day than any other course. You’ll leave this course with your brain full of knowledge!
You’ll complete short exercises in your handout and answer questions using digital wireless handsets,
Includes online access
You get free access to the online course from when you book until 3 months after the masterclass.
The masterclass is aimed at healthcare professionals, including doctors, dentists, nurses, researchers and students.
Please note: This is a sample agenda for an in-person Masterclass. Online Masterclasses will run from 9am to 3pm due to shorter breaks and efficiencies of being online.
- 08:30 - Registration
- 09:00 - Introduction to evidence-based practice
- 09:10 - The clinical question; primary hypothesis; subgroup analysis; confounding;
- 09:30 - Types of study design
- 09:50 - Sampling
- 10:15 - Bias
- 10:45 - Refreshment break
- 11:00 - Matching; randomisation
- 11:30 - Blinding
- 12:00 - Reliability; validity; outcomes
- 12:30 - Lunch
- 13:30 - Describing and summarising data
- 13:45 - Risks and odds
- 14:30 - Null hypothesis and p values
- 15:15 - Refreshment break
- 15:30 - Correlation and regression
- 16:00 - Prognostic studies
- 16:30 - Diagnostic studies
- 17:15 - Systematic review and meta-analyses
- 18:00 - Feedback and close
- Understand the meaning of evidence-based medicine and the importance of critical appraisal skills
- Be able to identify different study designs
- Be able to evaluate the methods of any study for strengths and weaknesses
- Understand how to choose a statistical test to analyse data and be able to interpret the results of any study
- Be able to calculate clinically useful statistics from results data
- Be able to decide whether to change clinical practice based on the results of a study
- Speed-read clinical research papers - and enjoy it!
- Impress your colleagues in journal clubs with your critical appraisal skills!
- Give gold standard answers to critical appraisal questions in interviews!
- Write authoritative literature reviews and get top marks!
- Pass critical appraisal exams with ease - no more revision required!
Book a masterclass
* For official orders from companies, organisations and academic institutions, an invoice can be generated for masterclass reservations.Request an invoice
This is an excellent course and I came out enlightened about something that I was too scared to study on my own.
Not only the content but the teaching techniques were excellent. Your course was really lucid and easy to understand. The exercises were very well constructed.
The course was very helpful. Thanks for helping me overcome my fear of critical appraisal. Excellent.
Fabulous venue! Extremely comfortable. Superb food, coffee, hospitality. I felt spoiled! Speaker very clear and animated. He has amazing presence and stamina! Thank you.
It is an excellent course. Thank you for making critical appraisal easy. I no longer have critical appraisal phobia and will not avoid journal clubs in the future.
Fantastic course. Interactive session helps understand better. Lot of my doubts cleared. I would definitely recommend to others.
Best course I have attended. Very lucid.
Absolute eureka feeling!! Excellent teacher and teaching skills. Have never been for any other course but likely will not need to this is more than enough!