Critical Appraisal Workshop
The Critical Appraisal Workshop is our most comprehensive critical appraisal training event. The workshop lasts two days and covers everything you need to read clinical papers with confidence. Compared to the one day Critical Appraisal Masterclass, more time is available in the workshop for practical work, including appraising real clinical papers.
Everything you need to critically appraise research papers is covered over two days.
Approved for 12 hours continuing professional development by the CPD Standards Office.
You’ll complete many exercises in your handout and answer questions using digital wireless handsets.
You’ll appraise real clinical papers under the expert guidance of our tutors using your new knowledge and skills.
Includes online access
You get free access to the online course from when you book until 6 months after the workshop.
The workshop is aimed at healthcare professionals, including doctors, dentists, nurses, researchers and students.
Please note: This is a sample agenda for an in-person Workshop. Online Workshops will run from 9am to 3pm on each day due to shorter breaks and efficiencies of being online.
- 08:30 - Registration
- 09:00 - Introduction to evidence-based practice
- 09:10 - The clinical question; primary hypothesis; subgroup analysis;
- 09:30 - Types of study design
- 10:15 - Sampling
- 10:30 - Bias
- 10:45 - Refreshment break
- 11:00 - Matching; randomisation
- 11:30 - Blinding
- 12:00 - Reliability; validity; outcomes
- 12:30 - Lunch
- 13:30 - Describing and summarising data
- 14:00 - Risks and odds
- 15:00 - Null hypothesis and p values
- 15:45 - Refreshment break
- 16:00 - Appraising a case-control study
- 17:00 - Appraising a randomised controlled trial (1)
- 18:00 - Close
- 09:00 - Appraising a randomised controlled trial (2)
- 10:00 - Appraising a randomised controlled trial (3)
- 10:45 - Refreshment break
- 11:00 - Correlation and regression
- 11:30 - Appraising a prognostic (survival) study
- 12:30 - Lunch
- 13:30 - Appraising a diagnostic study
- 14:30 - Appraising a systematic review / meta-analysis (1)
- 15:00 - Refreshment break
- 15:15 - Appraising a systematic review / meta-analysis (2)
- 16:30 - Feedback and close
- Understand the meaning of evidence-based medicine and the importance of critical appraisal skills
- Be able to identify different study designs
- Be able to evaluate the methods of any study for strengths and weaknesses
- Understand how to choose a statistical test to analyse data and be able to interpret the results of any study
- Be able to calculate clinically useful statistics from results data
- Be able to decide whether to change clinical practice based on the results of a study
- Speed-read clinical research papers - and enjoy it!
- Impress your colleagues in journal clubs with your critical appraisal skills!
- Give gold standard answers to critical appraisal questions in interviews!
- Write authoritative literature reviews and get top marks!
- Pass critical appraisal exams with ease - no more revision required!
Book a workshop
Less than a month away!
* For official orders from companies, organisations and academic institutions, an invoice can be generated for workshop reservations.Request an invoice
Doing real papers put things into context. Workbooks fab, well laid out and engaging. A great course. Thanks.
One of the best courses I've been on - structured, no assumed knowledge, interactive but not in a stressful way so free to concentrate without worrying. Speaker was excellent. Feel much better equipped. Workbook helped a lot. I have scrawled round the margins. More confident to tackle exam but also feel I understand basics well as skills for career.
Short exercises very useful to consolidate information. Interactive handsets - great as able to answer questions without fear of humiliation!
The course was well taught and highlighted the key learning points very well. The workbook - short exercises facilitated interaction and supported learning and retention of knowledge / practical application. Interactive handsets useful.
Good explanation of terms, enjoyed the short exercises. Love the workbooks! All in all, very good course. Helped me understand how to read journals better.
It was very good. Very clear and easy to use and understand. Very practical. Everything makes more sense now.
Great workbooks. Impressed with quality of materials provided. A3 - no change required in my opinion. A4 - nice book. Great teacher - clear, nice examples, made tricky concepts easy to understand, engaging. I think this is the first time stats has actually made sense! This course will really help me in my practice as a newly qualified medical consultant. Highly recommended and enjoyable! Thank you.
This is one of the best courses I have attended. You made a difficult (and possibly dull) topic come to life - thank you! I look forward to doing the online journal club.