Critical Appraisal Workshop (2 day course)
The Critical Appraisal Workshop is our most comprehensive critical appraisal training event. The workshop lasts two days and covers everything you need to read clinical papers with confidence. Compared to the one day Critical Appraisal Masterclass, more time is available in the workshop for practical work, including appraising real clinical papers.
Everything you need to critically appraise research papers is covered over two days.
Approved for 12 hours continuing professional development by the CPD Standards Office.
You’ll complete many exercises in your handout and answer questions using digital wireless handsets.
You’ll appraise real clinical papers under the expert guidance of our tutors using your new knowledge and skills.
Includes online access
You get free access to the online course from when you book until 6 months after the workshop.
The workshop is aimed at healthcare professionals, including doctors, dentists, nurses, researchers and students.
Individuals who already have a basic understanding of critical appraisal principles and are ready to develop these skills further. Individuals preparing for written critical appraisal examinations or those wanting to deep dive into the detail of studies would be suitable for this course.
About the Workshop
This workshop will begin with an overview of the key requirements for different study designs and the challenges faced by different study types. It will then focus on understanding the concepts of critical appraising studies with an in depth look at identifying strengths and limitations of studies. Understanding the key statistical principles when generating study results will also be covered to ensure interpretation of study results is done with confidence.
You will also practice your skills by critically appraising a selection of study types including RCTs, case control studies, cohort studies, survival studies, systematic reviews and meta-analyses.
- Understand the meaning of evidence-based medicine and the importance of critical appraisal skills.
- Be able to identify different study designs and clinical questions they can address.
- Be able to evaluate the methods to identify strengths and limitations of a study.
- Understand how to choose a statistical test to analyse data and be able to interpret the results of a study.
- Be able to decide whether to change clinical practice based on the results of a study.
Day 1 agenda
- 09:00 – Clinical paper practical session - critical appraisal of an abstract
- 09:20 - Hierarchy of evidence & strengths and limitations of different study designs
- 09:45 - Non-inferiority studies & their requirements
- 10:00 – Minimising bias and the impact of confounding factors in RCTs and RWE
- 10:30 – Correlation & regression analysis (simple & multiple linear regression, logistic regression)
- 11.00 - Refreshment break
- 11:15 – Null hypothesis, p values & confidence intervals
- 11:45 – Power and sample size
- 12:15 –Type I & type II errors
- 13:00 – Lunch
- 13:30 - Intention to treat vs per protocol analysis & attrition bias
- 14:00 – Odds ratios vs relative risks vs hazards ratios
- 14:30 – Clinical paper practical session - appraising a randomised controlled trial
- 15.30 - Clinical paper practical session - appraising an observational study
- 16.00 - Close
Day 2 agenda
- 09:00 – Practical session - Quick fire knowledge check from day 1
- 09:30 - Practical session - Interpretation of study results: tables, graphs from study extracts
- 10:45 - Refreshment break
- 11:00 - Practical session -appraising a randomised controlled trial & discussion
- 12:00 - Practical session -appraising an observational study & discussion
- 13:00 - Lunch
- 13:30 – Descriptive statistics & inferential statistics
- 14:00 – Kaplan Meier analysis, HRs, Cox regression
- 14:30 - Practical session -appraising a survival study & discussion
- 15:00 – Systematic reviews and meta-analyses
- 15:30 - Practical session - appraising a systematic review / meta-analysis
- 16:00 - Feedback and close
Once you have booked a place on the Critical Appraisal Workshop, you will have access to the online Critical Appraisal course for 6 months.
Internet connection, camera and microphone.
Accessing the Workshop
You will be sent a zoom link and clinical papers for the Workshop, 24 hours before the course begins.
Book a workshop
Hurry, only 3 days left!
* For official orders from companies, organisations and academic institutions, an invoice can be generated for workshop reservations.Request an invoice
Doing real papers put things into context. Workbooks fab, well laid out and engaging. A great course. Thanks.
One of the best courses I've been on - structured, no assumed knowledge, interactive but not in a stressful way so free to concentrate without worrying. Speaker was excellent. Feel much better equipped. Workbook helped a lot. I have scrawled round the margins. More confident to tackle exam but also feel I understand basics well as skills for career.
Short exercises very useful to consolidate information. Interactive handsets - great as able to answer questions without fear of humiliation!
The course was well taught and highlighted the key learning points very well. The workbook - short exercises facilitated interaction and supported learning and retention of knowledge / practical application. Interactive handsets useful.
Good explanation of terms, enjoyed the short exercises. Love the workbooks! All in all, very good course. Helped me understand how to read journals better.
It was very good. Very clear and easy to use and understand. Very practical. Everything makes more sense now.
Great workbooks. Impressed with quality of materials provided. A3 - no change required in my opinion. A4 - nice book. Great teacher - clear, nice examples, made tricky concepts easy to understand, engaging. I think this is the first time stats has actually made sense! This course will really help me in my practice as a newly qualified medical consultant. Highly recommended and enjoyable! Thank you.
This is one of the best courses I have attended. You made a difficult (and possibly dull) topic come to life - thank you! I look forward to doing the online journal club.